Special Olympics Cheerleading
Interested in starting a Special Olympics Cheer Program or a Team? Here are some suggestions to begin the process:
Start A Program
- Select a Cheer Sport Director for the Cheer Program. This Director will oversee the development of the cheer program and will work with both Special Olympics and the National Cheer Federation.
- Connect with national and local Special Olympics leadership in planning your cheer program, so they can follow everything. They can provide guidance, support, and make sure your team is meeting all the Special Olympics requirements.
- Connect with your National/State Cheer Federation. Will help with the development, education, and training for your Special Olympics cheer program. This will be an ongoing relationship.
To obtain more information to
Start A Team
- Hold an information meeting for parents and potential volunteers.
- Choose a team name.
- Determine number of cheerleaders for your team.
- All cheerleaders must complete Special Olympics athlete registration and submit Special Olympics athlete medical forms.
- Determine if your team will be Traditional or Unified. Traditional - athletes with intellectual differences. Unified - athletes with and without intellectual differences.
- Determine Level your team will start.
- Will need to review Special Olympics Cheerleading Rules and Guidelines Manual.
- Determine number of coaches.